12 September 2008

It must be autumn


Today I found the first horse-chestnut of the year. The leaves are starting to fall. I reckon it’s autumn. Yesterday was a perfect day with a clear blue sky but today the sky was grey all day long. Nevertheless I realised I like this time of year. You can still feel summer around and yet get a glimpse of the colder and darker season to come.

And there is a whole bunch of vegetables around which I am more than excited about. I always like to go to the farmer’s market on Saturday mornings and check what’s offered. I was more than happy when pumpkins started to appear everywhere a while ago since I was eager to make pumpkin soup. I have enjoyed pumpkin soup quite often, especially while I was in Australia, but I’ve never tried to make it myself so far.

So I bought my first pumpkin and made myself a pumpkin soup.


1 butternut squash, cut into cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
vegetable stock
1 teaspoon freshly ground cumin
1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
1 teaspoon freshly nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon sour cream

Put the onion with the olive oil and butter in a cooking pot. Sauté the onion over medium heat until translucent. Add the pumpkin and sauté further until you can cut easily into the pumpkin with a knife. Pour the vegetable stock into the pot until all the pumpkin is covered with fluid. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, cumin and coriander. Turn down the heat and puree everything with a mixer. Add the sour cream and the parley.Serves 2 (depending on the size of your butternut squash). Enjoy.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

That sounds really good!!! I'm glad you joined the GF recipe swap!! You'll have to tell everybody about the recipe!!