19 October 2008

Vacaciones sin gluten

For me going gluten-free is learning to plan ahead.

I have never enjoyed planning too much. Well, now I have to. No matter where I go I always have to think about food. Will there be gluten-free food for me? Can I rely on the people serving the food? Do I have to take food with me? How much food do I have to take so I won’t starve?
Especially on holidays. I have never really managed to travel with light luggage. But now with all the food I have to take with me? It’s even worse.

Early in October I went to Gran Canaria for a week. I had called the airline to request a special gluten-free meal. I took enough food with me to survive one week in a foreign place.

We had a small apartment so we were able to have breakfast at our place. Although we also had the chance to have dinner at home, we went out for dinner every evening. And guess what? I didn’t get stomach ache or any other signs of being glutenised once!

Fortunately, I have been to Gran Canaria quite a few times and know my way around. Even though this was my first gluten-free stay there, I knew what kinds of food to expect when dining out.

My parents were spending their holidays on Gran Canaria as well. They arrived one week before we did so they already checked with their favourite restaurant Chez Luigi if I was able to eat there. Fortunately, the head waiter was well informed and told me which food I can eat safely. It was even possible to adjust some of the sauces to my needs. So if you ever happen to be around, ask for Manolo.

I don’t know how you feel but when I’m going to another country I am always excited about new gluten-free products. And no matter if I need them or not I have to try all of themeverything. So one day we went to the capital Las Palmas. El Corte Inglés is the biggest store around and I heard that they offer a variety of gluten-free products. It took quite some time to find the special dietary needs section but oh my god, they had plenty of gluten-free things! They even had a frozen food section and if I had been able to take them with me I would have spent quite some money in that store!

We didn’t do anything really but relax. But what do you need on a holiday besides your loved ones, sunshine, the beach, the sea, a couple of good books and, needless to say, awesome food?




Ristorante Chez Luigi
C.C. Sandía
Playa del Inglés

El Corte Inglés
Avenida José Mesa Y López 18
35007 Las Palmas De Gran Canaria

Parafarmacia Oasis Beach
C.C. Oasis Beach Local N102
35506 Maspalomas

No comments: